Spread the love
Scheme Aims to Preserve Traditional Skills and Boost Artisan's Livelihoods
New Delhi: On the auspicious occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti, Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a transformative initiative named 'PM Vishwakarma' at Dwarka, New Delhi, with the goal of supporting and enhancing the traditional skills of artisans and craftspeople. During the launch event, the Prime Minister also introduced the PM Vishwakarma logo, tagline, and an online portal dedicated to the scheme.
The 'PM Vishwakarma' scheme is designed to revitalize the age-old Guru-Shishya parampara (mentor-apprentice tradition) and empower traditional artisans, commonly known as Vishwakarmas, who work diligently with their hands and tools. Its primary focus is to elevate the quality and accessibility of products and services crafted by artisans and ensure their seamless integration into both domestic and global value chains.
Addressing a gathering of artisans and craftsmen, Prime Minister Modi expressed his joy at connecting with millions of Vishwakarmas from all corners of the country. He underscored the importance of Vishwakarma Jayanti in celebrating and honoring traditional artisans and their invaluable contributions to India's heritage.
The Prime Minister personally experienced the rich tapestry of craftsmanship by visiting an exhibition on the occasion and engaging with artisans and craftsmen. He highlighted that the 'PM Vishwakarma' scheme represents a beacon of hope for lakhs of artisans and their families.
Key Highlights of the 'PM Vishwakarma' Scheme:
1. Full Central Government Funding: The scheme receives full financial backing from the Central Government, with a substantial allocation of Rs. 13,000 crores.
2. Digital Registration: Vishwakarmas can register free of charge through Common Services Centers using a biometric-based portal created exclusively for the scheme.
3. Recognition and Skill Enhancement: Artisans will receive official recognition through a PM Vishwakarma certificate and ID card. They will also benefit from skill enhancement programs, including basic and advanced training.
4. Toolkit Incentive: Eligible artisans will be granted a toolkit incentive of Rs 15,000, facilitating their work and craft.
5. Collateral-Free Credit Support: The scheme provides access to collateral-free credit support, with the first tranche offering up to Rs. 1 lakh and the second tranche up to Rs. 2 lakh, both at a concessional interest rate of 5 percent.
6. Digital Transaction Incentives: Artisans will be encouraged to adopt digital transactions, with incentives provided for embracing cashless payment methods.
7. Marketing Support: The scheme includes provisions for marketing support, ensuring artisans can reach a wider audience with their products.
The 'PM Vishwakarma' scheme is envisioned to benefit artisans and craftspeople in both rural and urban areas across India. Eighteen traditional crafts, including carpentry, blacksmithing, pottery, and tailoring, will be covered under this initiative.
This comprehensive focus on preserving traditional skills and promoting local art and craftsmanship not only offers financial assistance but also endeavors to safeguard India's rich cultural heritage for generations to come. 'PM Vishwakarma' marks a significant step towards empowering and uplifting the artisan community, promoting self-reliance, and fostering the continuity of traditional craftsmanship in the nation.
For further information and registration details, artisans are encouraged to visit the official PM Vishwakarma portal.
ALSO READ: Latest News Update in Flash